Mini Grants Overview
Mini Grants Overview Printable Version
Mini Grants are available for short-term or small-scale water quality projects. The grant amount may not exceed $3,000. No matching funds required.
How to Apply for a Mini Grant
Mini Grant Pre-Application
Mini Grant Budget Form
Review the Mini Grant Timeline.
Submit a Pre-Application form to the MWMO. The Pre-Application assists the MWMO in determining if a project meets our program purposes and can be realistically accomplished.
Pre-Applications will be reviewed by MWMO staff. The MWMO will invite selected Pre-Applicants to complete a Full-Application. Full-Applications will be reviewed and grant recipients selected by MWMO staff.
The following are examples of projects that have received a Mini Grant. These examples are provided simply as general ideas and are not meant to limit the possibilities or creativity of applicants. See awarded Mini Grants.
- Community events, such as clean-ups, festivals, invasive plant removal/restoration
- Leadership programs for young people or underserved communities
- Educational and technical training (including workshops) for all ages
- Art or media projects depicting water and natural resource issues
- Installation of small Best Management Practices (BMP's) demonstrations e.g., rainbarrels, raingardens, pervious pavers)
- Engagement processes that help identify water and natural resource issues of concern to a community
- Educational signs or brochures to explain water quality improvement projects
No matching funds required.
Grant recipients will receive their payment in two installments. For projects up to $500, 75% at the beginning of the Agreement and the remaining 25% upon submission and MWMO approval of completion. For projects $500 and over, 50% at the beginning of the Agreement and the remaining 50% upon submission and MWMO approval of completion.
Funding can only be used for activities that occur after the Agreement has been signed.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the MWMO to discuss ideas and ask questions in advance of submitting a Pre-Application.
For questions or more information, please contact:
Tamara Schmitz, Program Specialist: Stewardship & Community Outreach
612-746-4988 or firstname.lastname@example.org