Community Grants are available for short-term or small-scale water quality projects. The grant amount may not exceed $5,000. No matching funds are required.
- Application assistance is available.
- Applications will compete with others that are submitted.
- Please see: Eligibility Requirements
- Community events, such as clean-ups, festivals, and invasive plant removal/habitat restoration
- Programs for youth and community leadership development in the environment
- Educational and technical training (including workshops) for all ages
- Art or media projects depicting water and natural resource issues
- Installation of small Best Management Practices (BMPs) demonstrations (e.g., rainbarrels, raingardens, and pervious pavers)
- Engagement processes that help identify water and natural resource issues of concern to a community
- Educational signs or brochures to explain water quality improvement projects
For more past project examples, see our Projects section.
How to Apply
Apply via email to the contact listed below – Community Grant Application (DOCX, 0.1 MB, 4 pages)
Please use the subject line “Stewardship Fund – Community Grant Application” in your email.
Deadline: Friday, April 8th, 2022, by 4:30 p.m.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the MWMO to discuss ideas and ask questions in advance of applying. Please join MWMO staff for an information session on February 9 or February 15 to learn more about the grants, or reach out to the contact below to connect with staff.
Applications will be reviewed by MWMO staff. The MWMO will then invite applicants to meet and discuss their project ideas. Selected applicants will use feedback from the meeting to complete a final application that will be due by Friday, May 13th, 2022 at 4:30 p.m. MWMO staff will choose which of the final applications to fund. The MWMO will then begin notifying applicants whether they will be given funding shortly afterwards. Actual funding will be provided after a grant contract is complete and signed by both the applicant organization and the MWMO (roughly May-June). The next round of Community Grants will not be available until 2023.