Watershed Management Plan Update
The Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO) is updating its Watershed Management Plan. This plan, which is updated every 10 years in accordance with state law, guides all of our work at the MWMO. It summarizes the environment in which we do our work. It lays out our focus areas, goals, and strategies which guide our work to protect and improve water quality and habitat in the watershed. It also guides local water management planning for communities within the MWMO watershed.
The MWMO will be working to update the plan over a two-year period (see timeline below), following the process outlined in these laws: Minnesota Statutes 103B and Minnesota Rules 8410. During this process, the MWMO seeks input from various stakeholders, including the public, state agencies and local governments, about local stormwater-related issues, water management goals, regulations and programs.
This plan update, which will be completed in 2021, will be the fourth official Watershed Management Plan published and/or adopted by the MWMO since the organization was formed in 1985. (You can read more about our history on our About the MWMO page.)
Draft 2021 -2031 Watershed Management Plan Now Available for Review
*Updated April 21, 2021
The MWMO has completed the initial draft of its 2021-2031 Watershed Management Plan. Links to the draft plan and appendices can be found below.
2021-2031 Watershed Management Plan (Draft) (PDF, 6 MB, 223 pages )
Appendices A – I Combined (PDF, 6 MB, 202 pages)
Appendix A MWMO Joint and Cooperative Agreement, Legal Description and Bylaws (PDF, 3 MB, 59 pages)
Appendix B MWMO Standards (PDF, 0.1 MB, 6 pages)
Appendix C Water Resource-Related Activities of Member Organizations (PDF, 0.7 MB, 75 pages)
Appendix D Soil Series Descriptions (PDF, 0.2 MB, 11 pages)
Appendix E Rare Species Index and Blanding’s Turtle Information (PDF, 0.5 MB, 12 pages)
Appendix F Joint and Cooperative Agreement regarding Bassett Creek Tunnels (PDF, 1 MB, 18 pages)
Appendix G Public Comments and Issues Identification (PDF, 0.3 MB, 16 pages)
Appendix H Statuary Reviewer Comments and Responses (PDF, 0.1 MB, 1 page)
Appendix I Design Sequence Flow Chart (PDF, 0.1 MB, 2 pages)
Sign up for our email list to be notified of the public hearing and other events and news related to the Watershed Management Plan update.
An approximate timeline for updating the MWMO’s Watershed Management Plan can be found below. Feel free to contact us if you have questions about any of the steps in this process.
- Public Input Survey opened for responses.
- 60-Day Notification to Review Agencies
- Public input accepted at MWMO Board Meeting (Meeting Details)
November 2019 – July 2020
- MWMO Citizen Advisory Committee meetings held to guide plan update.
- MWMO, contractor begins compiling and writing draft plan.
- Joint Cooperative Agreement reviewed by members and, if needed, updated.
October 2020 – December 2020
- Draft plan released; 60-day review period begins.
- Optional individual meetings with statutory reviewers.
- General public review and comment on the draft plan.
*Updated April 21, 2021
- Staff are currently making updates to the plan to address comments submitted by agencies and the public.
- A response to comments will be sent out to agency reviewers in by the end of May 2021.
- Agency reviewers will be able to schedule meetings in June 2021 to clarify or discuss any remaining comments with MWMO staff.
- A public hearing on the plan will be held at the MWMO Board of Commissioners meeting on July 13, 2021.
- The plan is to be released in July for a 90-day agency review period.
- Plan approval by the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources is anticipated on October 27, 2021.
- The plan is anticipated for final approval at the MWMO Board of Commissioners meeting on November 9, 2021.