Watershed Management Plan Update
The Mississippi Watershed Management Organization is updating its Watershed Management Plan. This plan, which is updated every 10 years in accordance with state law, guides all of our work at the MWMO. It summarizes the environment in which we do our work. It lays out our goals, strategies and actions to protect and improve water quality and habitat in the watershed. It also guides local water management planning for communities within the MWMO watershed.
The MWMO will be working to update the plan over the next two years, following the process outlined in these laws: Minnesota Statutes 103B and Minnesota Rules 8410. During this process, the MWMO will seek input from various stakeholders, including the public, state agencies and local governments, about local stormwater-related issues, water management goals, regulations and programs.
This plan update, which will be completed by May 2021, will be the fourth official Watershed Management Plan published and/or adopted by the MWMO since the organization was formed in 1985. (You can read more about our history on our About the MWMO page.)
Make Your Voice Heard — Take Our Survey
The MWMO wants your input! Please take our public input survey (link below) to help us understand your concerns, priorities and goals for the health of the watershed.Take the Survey
There will be additional opportunities for public input and involvement throughout the process. Sign up for our email list to be notified of events and news related to the Watershed Management Plan update.
An approximate timeline for updating the MWMO’s Watershed Management Plan can be found below. Feel free to contact us if you have questions about any of the steps in this process.
- Public Input Survey
- 60-Day Notification to Review Agencies
- Public input accepted at MWMO Board Meeting (Meeting Details)
November 2019 – July 2020
- Technical Advisory Committee formed; meetings held to guide plan update.
- MWMO Citizen Advisory Committee meetings held to guide plan update.
- MWMO, contractor begins compiling and writing draft plan.
- Joint Cooperative Agreement reviewed by members and, if needed, updated.
October 2020 – December 2020
- Draft plan released; 60-day review period begins.
- Public hearing on the draft plan.
- 90-day review period for state agencies.
- Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources approves plan.
- MWMO Board of Commissioners approves final plan
Current Watershed Management Plan
For reference, the MWMO’s 2011–2021 Watershed Management Plan can be found below in PDF form.
Current Plan Documents*
*Last updated Nov. 15, 2016