Professional Development and Training Programs
The MWMO works with its partners to provide high-quality professional development and training programs to equip professionals with knowledge and skills to implement best practices to protect water quality and habitat in our watershed and beyond.
We are proud to sponsor training courses for facilities and maintenance professionals. Each of these training programs provides the opportunity to receive certification from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and be listed on their website as a certified individual or organization.
2022 Training Schedule
- Smart Salting for Roads — September 20, 8 a.m.–1 p.m. (Register)
- Smart Salting for Parking Lots and Sidewalks — October 19, 8 a.m.–1 p.m. (Register)
- Smart Salting for Property Managers — November 16, 9 a.m.–1 p.m. (Register)
Additional training dates offered by our partners can be found on the MPCA’s website
Smart Salting Training
Offered in partnership with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and Fortin Consulting, there are four different Smart Salting training courses focused on best practices for managing snow and ice with reduced environmental impacts. Each of these courses offers the opportunity to earn MPCA Smart Salting Certification and be listed on the MPCA website.
- Smart Salting for Parking Lots and Sidewalks: This level 1 training is for salt applicators who primarily work on parking lots and sidewalks to learn how to significantly reduce salt use, save money and protect Minnesota’s lakes and rivers while maintaining safety. Certification valid for five years.
- Smart Salting for Roads: This level 1 training is for salt applicators who mainly operate high- and low-speed snowplows to learn how to significantly reduce salt, save money and protect Minnesota lakes and rivers while maintaining road safety. Certification valid for five years.
- Smart Salting Level 2: (Organizational Certification): This training is for public and private organizations to help assess your salt use and take steps to minimize it. Learn to use the Smart Salting Assessment tool to assess past and present salt use and make plans to reduce and optimize operations. Certification valid for two years.
- Smart Salting for Property Managers: This training will help property managers or local government decision-makers learn how to save money and protect water resources using less salt and still maintain safe surfaces. Certification valid for three years.
Summer Turfgrass Maintenance Training
This training focuses on best management practices for lawn/turf care maintenance. Topics include impacts of lawn care on local waterways, equipment calibration, fertilizer selection/application, mowing techniques, pesticide application, legal issues and resources. This training is aimed at landscaping contractors, park workers, school maintenance crews, property managers, turf care product distributors and other related professionals.
Customized Professional Development Opportunities
MWMO staff welcomes the opportunity to work with professional groups to increase knowledge about urban stormwater management and best practices in protecting and improving water quality and habitat. Contact Abby Moore (email to: email@example.com) to discuss and schedule your program.
Stormwater Best Management Practice (BMP) Site Tours: Tour the MWMO’s Stormwater Park and Learning Center to learn about and see our living laboratory of green infrastructure and sustainability along the Mississippi River.
Project Site Visits: Visit a recent MWMO-funded project site with MWMO staff to learn about planning, implementation, outcomes, etc., tailored to your group.
Urban Stormwater Management: Enhance your understanding of urban stormwater management in the MWMO, including examples of recent projects and partnerships.
Green Infrastructure Maintenance: Learn about the importance of proper maintenance for long-term health and functionality of stormwater best management practices (BMPs).