Mississippi River Green Team Site Supervisor
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking a Mississippi River Green Team Site Supervisor to work in multiple locations throughout Minneapolis to supervise the daily work of a crew consisting of 8-10 youth ages 14-17 from diverse backgrounds. Crews will be working in the natural areas of the Minneapolis Park system including woodlands and prairies, and along shorelines of lakes, ponds, creeks, and the Mississippi River. Youth crews learn to identify and remove invasive species, prevent erosion, help with plantings, and other tasks that benefit the parks and watershed. Site supervisors are expected to be role models and work alongside their youth crew. Site supervisors are also responsible for motivating their crew, enforcing program rules, and implementing day-to-day operations. Learn more at www.mwmo.org/greenteam
*Please note: This is a Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board job. The MWMO is sharing this job posting as a courtesy.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work with and motivate teens
- Willingness to learn and work alongside youth while modeling expected behaviors and work ethic
- Ability to recognize, and respond in a positive manner, to the needs of the youth staff
- Demonstrate ability to work well with diverse populations and build a team
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora and fauna
- Follow directions, complete assignments, and meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Enthusiasm, creativity, problem-solving skills, positive attitude, good sense of humor, flexible
- Valid driver’s license (to drive a 10-passenger van to different work sites)
- Academic training or experience in environmental education, natural sciences, education, or a related field
- Ability to communicate fluently in a second language. Spanish, Hmong, or Somali preferred
$22.00 per hour, plus mileage reimbursement. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. This position is not eligible for other benefits.
Typically work week is Monday through Thursday, 7 am – 3:30 pm (youth work 7:30 am – 3 pm), with occasional Friday or Saturday hours, keeping the total to 32-40 hours per week. Position begins on June 21th and ends August 25th, 2023. Potential for intermittent workdays with the crew during the school year.
Apply by submitting the following materials:
Apply by Wednesday May 31, 2023. Applications will be evaluated as they are received, and interviews scheduled accordingly. Applicants will receive receipt of application email. If none is received within 48 hours of applying, please inquire with Lori Smiley LSmiley@minneapolisparks.org 612-313-7727
Please send your cover letter and resume to: EEjobapplications@minneapolisparks.org If you have any questions about this specific Mississippi River Green Team Site Supervisor position, please contact: Gretchen Engstrom, Environmental Education Supervisor: GEngstrom@minneapolisparks.org
Deadline for applications: 05-31-2023
Direct questions and application materials to:
3800 Bryant Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55409